Errors in the CIBIL report can be anything, like a mistaken identity, spelling mistake in the name, age, address or PAN card, credit card facilities never availed of, or someone else’s loans/overdues reflecting in your report. Such mistakes can ruin your CIBIL score drastically, for no fault of yours.
First things first
- First, you should not panic. CIBIL is a huge database of many customers. Wrong information might be reflecting in your report because you have the same name, same nature of transaction or any other reason.
- You must obtain the copy of your CIBIL report (it is chargeable). This is why it is always advised to keep a track of CIBIL scores i.e. to avoid such situations.
- You need to understand the nature of dispute on your CIBIL report. Not every mistake/error ruins your CIBIL score. Nevertheless, such errors must be corrected.
- Log in to the CIBIL’s website and initiate a dispute by submitting a dispute resolution form, which would be available on the website.
- These errors, depending on their nature, take about 40 to 60 days to be rectified.
- The details that reflect in the report are crosschecked with your credit institution, according to the details in your filled online dispute form.
- The credit institution either accepts or rejects the dispute based on the facts and information available in its database.
- If the dispute is accepted, corrections are made.
- You will be notified about the correction made. The “under dispute” remark will be removed from the concerned section.
What if you are not satisfied with the response from CIBIL? You can bring the dispute to the attention of senior management. The process of grievance redressal is as explained below:
- Manager of Consumer Services: At this level, you need to give details about your dispute submitted earlier. You will be expected to have a valid service request number take this issue up to higher authorities. The resolution may take 10-15 days.
- Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Consume Services: If you are not content with the response of manager of consumer services, you can approach the AVP through an online form. You will again have to give the valid service request number along with the escalation issues discussed with the manager of consumer services. Resolution may take 8-10 days.
- Senior Vice President (SVP) of Consumer Services: If the problem is still unresolved, you can escalate the issue to the SVP with all supporting documents, facts, evidences, service request number and responses of manager at lower levels.
QUICK TIP: What all in your CIBIL report must not lead to disputes?
- Incorrect dates
- Enquiry dates
- Control number
- Account number unless there is an ownership dispute
- Member name unless there is an ownership issue